New DVD and Blu-Ray Releases to Crave: Enjoy The Next Three Days, Morning Glory... Jackass (3)
By Chris Kavan - 03/08/11 at 11:40 AM CT
Hopefully you enjoy gripping thrillers, light comedy, riveting documentaries and guys getting hit in the nuts for no good reason - because they're all coming your way.
1) While it doesn't look like it rises much above your conventional thrillers, I'll still give The Next Three Days the benefit of the doubt. You have Russell Crowe, Liam Neeson, Elizabeth Banks and Olivia Wilde - balance the gruff men with the pretty women. I'm sure there are plot holes galore, but just like Taken you're in this for the ride - just enjoy it!
2) Getting down to serious business, you have the Oscar-winning documentary Inside Job. With Matt Damon lending his voice of reason, the financial meltdown into perspective and isn't shy about laying the blame where the blame is due (mainly to really rich people who deserve punishment they have dodged). This is one that should make you angry and make you think.
3) For the person who never gets tired of seeing other people humiliated and in pain, then Jackass 3 will satisfy your urges. Yes, Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O and the rest of the insane group are back to provide much-needed entertainment as only they can supply. Cringe if you must, be secretly, you know you like it.
4) In the female-friendly department is the meet-cute between opposites that turns into a friendship while a office romance is going on... and stop me before I puke. Anyway, if this sounds like anything you might enjoy, then by all means, go out and get Morning Glory. As for me, I'll stay far out the range of this one - Harrison Ford has fallen far enough, I don't need to see him drop any further.
5) Finally, the anime fan in me would like to point out that Studio Ghiblii's latest Tales From Earthsea. Some have said it's less polished than previous films because it was helmed by Goro Miyazaki, instead of his father Hayao, but as I feel Studio Ghibli can rival anything by Disney, I'm willing to take that chance.
On the Blu-Ray front, another Studio Ghibli film gets an update as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is releases. Remember, this is the authentic version, not the butchered American release of years before, so don't worry about quality with this one. Those who enjoy enigmatic films/documentaries will be happy with the release of Exit Through the Gift Shop. Banksy may not have shown at the Oscars, but you can enjoy his work here.
You can get the scoop on all the new films coming out on the FilmCrave New DVD Releases and FilmCrave New Blu-Ray Releases pages today.