The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth... and Whup Your Ass
By Chris Kavan - 12/11/10 at 12:47 PM CT
I always like it when the the underdogs win - maybe it's because I can identify with them - it's even better when they pull one over on the antagonists and usually get the girl too. Here are the best nerds-turned-heroes.
1) The Super Nerds - These are the real "heroes" - I'm talking about mild-mannered Clark Kent and science dweeb Peter Parker. One is an alien, the other bitten by a radioactive spider, but both ditch the nerdy persona and become Superman and Spider-Man. Sure they might lead a double life, but what better cover than some wimp who works at a newspaper?
2) George McFly - Hello McFly? In the beginning Marty's dad is the epitome of an adult nerd - weak-willed, no confidence, obviously full of regret - then a wonderful thing happens, his son happens to go back in time and by changing one moment, make him a hip, fun guy and a successful author to boot. All it takes is one knock-out punch and some feeling to turn things around.
3) John Hughes Gallery of Geeks - Most people can choose Anthony Michael Hall in any of the following films: Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles or Weird Science. But don't forget about Duckie, even if he didn't get the girl. John Hughes had a certain way of making nerds seem a little tragic, but they usually came out all right in the end.
4) The Cool Nerd - John Cusack made his career by playing these characters in early films - think Lloyd Dobler, Lane Meyer, Hoops McCann - even the recent Hot Tub Time Machine seemed to be a throwback to his past characters. Not all nerds have to be basement-dwelling trolls, some are just misunderstood loners.
5) Revenge of the Nerds - I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the ultimate group comeback. These are nerds of the highest caliber, without them there would be no McLovin. Violin-playing, robot-building, socially-inept, pocket-protector wearing, AAA-geeks. Yet despite the abuse heaped upon them they manage to end on a high note. Though the sequels can't do them justice, this is one of the great triumphs for underdogs everywhere.
Do you have a favorite nerd uprising moment? There are plenty more, and there will always be more in the future.