New DVD and Blu-Ray Releases to Crave This Week: Avatars, Airbenders, Christmas and All-Right Kids
By Chris Kavan - 11/16/10 at 10:13 AM CT
The hits keep rolling in as it's going to be easy to get a jump on some anticipated films for the holiday season.
1) Leading the pack, some may say double-dipping, is the super duper awesome edition of Avatar. Featuring three versions of the film, deleted scenes, documentary and other extras, those who purchases the bare-bones edition will either be content with what they have, or shell out again for the extra features. I held out, so I don't feel bad. Still, it's a bit of a shady deal if you ask me.
2) While it may not be the most popular, I will say that The Kids Are All Right is my choice for best movie of the week. Oscar-worthy performances, indie cred that made a lot of money (compared to its cost) and a good mix of humor and drama? I'll take this over the more popular films below.
3) Sure, it may be the umpteenth adaptation, but you can't have Christmas without Disney's A Christmas Carol. As long as you don't mind a bit of a Jim Carrey overload, this should be a worthy, if not quite classic, take on the perennial story.
4) Even though critics and fans alike were a bit aghast, M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender still managed to make quite a bit of box office dough. While I'm not head over heels about this one, I admit I will break down and most likely rent this some day. It doesn't matter how much of a mess they made of it, I'm a sucker for pretty pictures and mindless action.
5) Finally, if these wasn't enough already to keep the kids quiet, invest in Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore. That's about all its good for, as far as I'm concerned. But if it makes the children happy, go with it.
Other Blu-Ray releases include the original 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty and two new Criterion releases: The Night of the Hunter and Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. Like all Criterion releases, expect plenty of extras, interviews and material, if you're into that kind of thing.
To find information on all the new releases, visit the FilmCrave New DVD Releases and the FilmCrave New Blu-Ray Releases pages today.