Come On Baby, Light My Fire
By Chris Kavan - 08/09/10 at 10:03 AM CT
If I can't beat this heat, I may as well join it. In celebration of the hottest week of the year here in Nebraska, I present my favorite films that are smokin' hot - literally.
1) The Wicker Man (1973) - I choose to ignore that a remake was ever made, even though it has roughly the same plot. Anyway, investigating an island a man discovers a cult and finds out just what happens when you get too nosy. Let's just say that if you find yourself trapped inside a wicker man, better hope there's a fire extinguisher handy.
2) Firestarter - Just before becoming the youngest alcoholic, Drew Barrymore starred in this Stephen King adaptation about a pyrokinetic girl. There was sequel in 2002, but wasn't very memorable. I'm not going to say this was a great adaptation, but it is the best film about being able to start fires with your mind.
3) Backdraft - There aren't too many films focusing on firefighters, and this is probably the best of the bunch. Arson and firefighters make a winning combination - and it makes a pretty good mystery too.
4) Fahrenheit 451 - Another movie about firefighters, but in this case they burn things rather than prevent fires. The book is a classic and with François Truffaut at the helm, this adaptation lives up to the spirit. Sure it may be more about ideas than fire, but it still burns at the right temperature.
5) Knowing - Nothing like an apocalyptic solar flare to ruin your existence. I think there are probably other films with solar flares, but this is the first one that came to mind. Despite having Nicolas Cage running around trying to solve a mystery, this is not related to the National Treasure films. Cage was also in the awful remake I refuse to admit exists and thus this list comes full circle.
So curl up by your favorite fire film and just be thankful that no matter how hot it gets, it can always be much worse - if the smoke doesn't get you first.