What's the Scariest Movie of All-Time

Location: All Movie Forums / Oscar Talk, Nominees and 'Best of' Discussion / What's the Scariest Movie of All-Time
1 - 10 of 40 1  2  3  4  Next
  Josh C
Josh C

To me the Exorcist takes the cake no question. It is so eerie and creepy I love it.
10/14/2008

Alex
Alex

I disagree with the exocist but I think Event Horizon or The Shining as the scariest movie of all time.

10/14/2008

CJP
CJP

I agree on the Exorcist for the historical scope. Also, the original Halloween is always good for the purity of the event. 10/15/2008

CJP
CJP

A more recent film I find utterly tense and terrifying would be Audition. It belongs (at least) in the top 10 all time. Can someone explain why Event Horizon would be there though? I found it shallow and dead bodies floating around was scary only for a bit. It even lacked the development and uneasiness of Pulse, which I am obviously biased towards.  10/15/2008

Alex
Alex

To address your Event Horizon question - I am not really sure actually.  I just think it is really freaky and very crazy.  Granted I love sci fi so when a horror meets sci fi film comes out I still enjoy it a lot.  You can't think of it in the literal sense.  What is pulse - haven't seen it? I also haven't seen Audition either. 10/15/2008

CJP
CJP

Audition and Pulse are both categorized as J-Horror. Pulse was remade for the U.S. with Veronica Mars- skip it! The last 15 minutes of Audition are very hard to sit through. It gave me a stomach ache from all the "Oh dear god, no!" moments. Pulse is more existential, offering suspense rather than straight "Ahhhhh!" moments. If you're a sci-fi fan then you may dig Pulse more. If you don't want to sleep for a day or two go with Audition. =) 10/15/2008

CJP
CJP

I forgot to mention that the Japanesse title for Pulse is Kairo. 10/15/2008

Josh C
Josh C

I haven't seen Audition yet, but I am not a big "shock" and "gore" fan. I think that is where J-horrors often loose me.
I also think The Descent is very scary. I have never jumped out of my seat so many times in a movie.

10/16/2008

CJP
CJP

I (heart) Descent! Very kinetic thriller that used everything to it's advantage.

I know it doesn't exactly qualify as scary, but 28 Days Later deserves to be mentioned because, in my opinion, it's one finely, rare crafted piece of horror/thriller cinema. The other J-Horror that was scary in my opinion was Ringu.
10/16/2008

daark
daark

Hello all I would like to add to the list one of my favorite scary movies which will show my age. :) (the original is the best)

10/16/2008