'The Republican' Starring Clint Eastwood

Location: All Movie Forums / General Discussion / 'The Republican' Starring Clint Eastwood
  FSUNoles27TS
FSUNoles27TS

I have always been a Clint Eastwood fan and will continue to be, but am a little turned off by his political views. It has made me look at his films a little more cynically. I am the first to say that I shouldn't his personal life affect how I view his movies, but it has. My questions is: Do you view a movie differently because of the personal views of people involved with the movie, even if those views do not translate on screen? 12/06/2012

smeagol
smeagol

people take politics far too seriously. there is no right there is no wrong. his views or anybody's shouldn't  stop people from liking his films. the same as they shouldn't stop people from playing springsteens music.
if you sat around the dinner table with you friends  and r family and discussed politics there would be always some who dont agree and you wouldn't fall out with your them over it. so why people get so upset over famous people's opinions is silly to me. its just a view no more.

i like clints movies and for him to still be good at his age is great. his political backing i find silly but it wont stop me enjoying his work if the work id good and im interested in it.
12/07/2012

FSUNoles27TS
FSUNoles27TS

A politcal party affiliation should not get in the way of enjoying a movie I agree. But if I narrowed it down to certain views, such as gay rights or stance on abortion; would you hold the same that it does not affect? And I am not saying it is right or wrong to be/not be effected. I am just curious if other people do allow the feelings towards the actor as a person affect the way they view their works. 12/07/2012

smeagol
smeagol

yeah people do some are downright scary with their hatred towards some of these stars who have merely saying and supporting what they believe in at the time. every guy in every bar will have a different view people shouldn't hate for it. or let it effect there enjoyment or view of them as a person.
unless they are supporting the nazi party there its no big deal at least to me.
some people are against gay rights and abortion some arn't. there views are no different to anybody else you would ask on the street some will be in favour some not.someones opinion famous or not wont effect me people can believe what they like .its no crime to be against something. even if i think myself they are wrong. id  still enjoy their work . we all have views famous people are no different.
they would have to be pretty radical like condoning killing or something for it to efect my pleasure of their art
12/07/2012

FSUNoles27TS
FSUNoles27TS

Good opinion.
Some other people that I will bring up for others to comment is;
  • Tom Cruise- Scientology (A horrible cult)
  • Charlie Shene
  • Ricky Gervais and other Atheist actors
  • Robert Downey Jr. and other Actors/Actresses who had or have drug problems

I am not saying all of these affect my opinion on their works. Just trying to see what people think.

12/07/2012

I can usually look passed both political and religious views when it comes to movies - I may have issues with Scientology, but when I watch Tom Cruise in Mission:Impossible or Knight & Day - I enjoy the film for what it is and don't worry anything else.

However, it is nearly impossible to take an actor (or actress) seriously when they so destroy their own careers by making terrible decisions - you mentioned Charlie Sheen and I would add Lindsay Lohan to that list - Actors can bounce back from bad choices (case in point Robert Downey, Jr.), however, that process is something that takes time (and effort). The media can be just as bad harassing people - but that's the price of fame - if you do or say something embarrassing, illegal or just plain dumb - it's there for the world to experience. Once I've lost respect for an actor - it's going to be hard to earn that back.
12/08/2012

smeagol
smeagol

most actors with the drugs booze orgies fights and odd beliefs like cruises  etc doesn't really effect the public  people are used to it by now.  we just think oh shame and hope they are capable of doing another  good movie..
mel gibson though would be a interesting debate as his problems do effect the viewers perception on screen. as far as the racisim is concerned it must of  turned people of seeing his movies
12/08/2012