Joker vs. Joker

Location: All Movie Forums / General Discussion / Joker vs. Joker
  Alice C 92
Alice C 92
Movie Star

Hello everyone! I have always been a fan of super heroes movies and I always been interested in the comparison between the numerous Batman's films that have been made. I really like Christopher Nolan's Batman saga but I wouldn't call it it my favorite. Although I am young I grow up watching the old Batmans and I'm a big fan of the ones directed by Tim Burton. The first Batman, sees a Joker portrayed by Jack Nicholson. As stunning and unforgettable Heath LEdger's performance is in The Dark Knight, I personally find Jack Nicholson to be a different yet better joker. Not because he is my favorite actor but rather because his joker was fully and completely insane. Ledger's Joker is crazy but I found that having always everything under control makes him almost a genius and he definitely understand the difference between rational and irrational, he just CHOOSES to be irrational. Furthermore, Nicholson is just insane, there is nothing rational in his character, he just acts according to his needs and whatever he feels like doing. I think Nicholson's crazier performance is more effective and more believable than Ledger's. (once again, I still think that Ledger was extraordinary and he gave one of the best performance ever). My question to all of you is which one did you prefer? And why? 11/25/2012

CptSpaulding
CptSpaulding
TV Extra

Jack Nicholson forever!!! 09/30/2013

Luna
Luna

I love Jack but his Joker was very cartoon-y for me (but that was fitting for a Burton Batman film, as that 'exaggeration' is part of Burton's style).  I think Heath really crafted his own original entity with the character and completely submerged into it.  You forgot you were watching Heath Ledger.  I found Heath's more realistic.  Real sociopaths don't need any reason to do what they do (some have an additional 'backstory' that propels them, some just want the attention or enjoy the thrill).  But I found Heath's to be more modern and realistic for our current times.  A lot of violent acts (nowadays) tend/seem to be more prominent with younger guys.  So Heath's Joker is more socially in-tune with that modern statistic/occurrence as well. 07/11/2015

Heath Ledger's joker is probably the most iconic Joker put to the screen in my mind. Nicholson was more along the lines of the "classic" Joker - he was good, but Ledger was more captivating - madness, mania and diabolical all at the same time.

That being said - while I'm not wild about the new Joker's look in Suicide Squad, Jared Leto is an excellent actor and I hope he can bring yet another new facet to the role.

Also - don't discount Mark Hamill - his voice work in the animated series and Arkham video games is, in my mind, right up there with the best live-action actors out there.
07/13/2015

jessicacarlson
jessicacarlson
Aspiring Actress

I'm a Fan from Heath ledger

Heath Ledger and Jack we're both awesome as The Joker.
07/15/2015