'Meta' Movies

Location: All Movie Forums / General Discussion / 'Meta' Movies
1 - 10 of 12 1  2  Next
  Snoogans
Snoogans

Thought I'd start a topic about metafiction in movies.  You know, those films that are self aware, break the fourth wall, reference other movies or all of the above.  It's been used as narrative, satire, parody and just for fun.  I'd like to hear some of your favorite 'meta' movies, or meta moments in movies.  I'll start off with a list of my favorites that I made off the top of my head.  This list represents the different forms of metafiction in movies. 02/23/2012

Rubber is probably the weirdest, yet most interesting use of metafiction I've seen in awhile. I can't say the movie is great, but the use of this particular device is pretty ingenious.

I can't think of a lot of addition to your list save Funny Games (both the original and the remake) in which the audience is addressed a few times.

I'm sure there are plenty of comedies in which a character does the audience wink (a quick or sly turn to the camera with a knowing smile or other mischief).
02/24/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

I thoroughly enjoyed Rubber's unique meta approach to storytelling.  It takes the idea to a new extreme.  As for winking at the audience, it's happened in many more movies than I remembered.  I never realized just how many films exist in this category, until I started making the list.  Any parody, or satire on other films would automatically count.  I'm quite fond of the 'movie-within-a-movie' structure.  There's just something about watching a fake movie being made that I love.  My favorite is 'Bowfinger'.  That film is hilarious and very underrated.  02/24/2012

I forgot about Mulholland Drive - kind of a darker, twisted take on the "movie within a movie" theory. Hell, I still don't exactly know what was entirely going on there, but it's David Lynch, so I'm pretty sure that's to be expected.

Even Super 8 has characters making movies - and the movie itself is a homage to Spielberg's 80s films - double meta.
02/24/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

I need to see Mulholland Drive.  Looks fantastic.  My favorite part of Super 8 was the zombie film the kids were making.  Reminded me of my childhood.  Seeing their finished short project, during the credits, was quite enjoyable.  If you want a meta movie to wrap your mind around, then I suggest Adaptation.  There are many, many ideas there and some of it's based on the real life experience of the films writer, which only adds another twisted layer. 02/24/2012

Daniel Corleone
Daniel Corleone

Mulholland Drive is highly recommendable, need to have patience though but the conclusion is rewarding.  My favorite 'meta' movies listed above would be Airplane, The Truman Show and Ferris Bueller.  Does Shaun of the Dead and Death Proof count?  If yes count those in. 03/08/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

Yeah, movies that plainly show/tell you they are homages would be considered meta, in a way. 03/08/2012

Jase
Jase

My favorite use of metafiction in film would have to be Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain. I love it, but I've seen people in theaters actually get angry because of the meta part. It provokes a strong response in people, though it's not always a good one, of course. 03/09/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

Never heard of 'The Holy Mountain', but you've got me interested.  I'll have to check it out. 03/09/2012

Alejandro Jodorowsky makes David Lynch look normal. You won't find anything else out there quite like his films - but don't go in expecting anything conventional, either. 03/12/2012

1  2  Next