My Movie-Related New Year's Resolution

Location: All Movie Forums / Movie News, Rumors, and Confirmed Reports / My Movie-Related New Year's Resolution
1 - 10 of 13 1  2  Next

So after giving some thought to what I can accomplish this new year - I decided my resolution is to watch more documentaries and silent films - I like to think I have a robust film experience, but I know I am lacking in these areas.

I am currently watching Man on Wire here is my documentary list as it stands:

Top Documentary
1. King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007)
2. Gimme Shelter (1970)
3. An Inconvenient Truth (2006)
4. Grizzly Man (2005)
5. Woodstock (1970)
6. Sicko (2007)
7. Super Size Me (2004)
8. Life in a Day (2011)
9. Bowling for Columbine (2002)
10. Catfish (2010)
11. Roger & Me (1989)
12. Heavy Metal in Baghdad (2008)

I have Nosferatu and Metropolis scheduled to watch. I also have The Cove and Exit Through the Gift Shop on my Netflix que. I will take any and all suggestions on what else I should watch to help me keep true to my resolution. Many thanks!
01/04/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

That is a great list of documentaries.  I've seen half of them and King of Kong is my favorite of the bunch.  It's actually my favorite documentary of all time.
I'd suggest checking out Food Inc., Religulous, Jesus Camp, This Film is Not Yet Rated, American Teen, Anvil! The Story of Anvil, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, American: The Bill Hicks Story and Heckler.
01/04/2012

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Man on Wire is great! I loved it. I thought Catfish was a mocumentary? Not too long ago VH1 had a list of the top 100 documentaries. Try to catch it next time it comes. Anvil! was also great, but a little sad that some dreams just are not realized.  Shine A Light was good, but too bad Scorsese and the Rolling Stones did not team up 25 years ago. What a show that would have been. Sigh. 01/04/2012

I was on the fence over whether Catfish was actually a "true" documentary or not, but decided it was close enough to put on the list because it seems at least plausible that you could get away with it in this day and age. I remember hearing about Anvil! The Story of Anvil. I will have to put that at the top of my list as it sounds right up my alley. 01/04/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

Just watched and reviewed Anvil today.  Really enjoyed it. 01/04/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

As inspired by your list, I made a 2012 resolution list of my own.  It's all of the universally considered classics or great films that I have yet to watch.  They are ordered by age.
01/04/2012

Now that is an inspiring list - I've seen a fair bit of them (though not all). I still need to watch The Godfather Part III - and Midnight Cowboy should also be on my list. Make sure you're ready for the long haul - you can't go wrong with any of them, but if you fall asleep before the movie is over, you'll only have yourself to blame - four hours is pushing it. 01/04/2012

Snoogans
Snoogans

Thanks.  I haven't fallen asleep during a 3+ hour film yet, so I think my chances are good. 01/04/2012

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Chris, If you enjoyed Woodstock, you might also enjoy The Last Waltz, the farewell concert of The Band. I love 70's rock and roll. Shut Up Little Man shows how filmakers don't really have to have an agenda to document reality, and perhaps start a movement in the process. 01/09/2012

Snoogans