Beetle Juice

Location: All Movie Forums / Movie News, Rumors, and Confirmed Reports / Beetle Juice
1 - 10 of 12 1  2  Next
  LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Someone told me that Hollywood has the audacity to remake Beetle Juice, and they are not using Tim Burton as the director. I thought the movie was perfect. Can't Hollywood come up with an original idea instead of robbing 80's titles?

09/13/2011

Clash of the Titans, Red Dawn, Footloose, Karate Kid, Nightmare on Elm Street...

So, no, obviously Hollywood finds it much more convenient to root around in old 80s movies (and TV shows) "update" it for a contemporary audience and call it good. It's not that Hollywood is out of original ideas, but that studios find it much easier to remake or reboot than take a chance of something unknown.

Seeing how much money The Smurfs has made, it appears audiences are more than eager to support this as well. There's no way an updated Beetle Juice can match the fun yet morbid original. It just can't. Even the best remakes fall short of the original.
09/16/2011

Northeast Kid
Northeast Kid
TV Extra

Except Ben Hur, The Wizard of Oz, The Departed, Ocean's 11 and a few others. 09/16/2011

Sorry - I should have specified - all remakes after 2000 - Ocean's 11 may be the only worthy one ( though I haven't seen the original).

I don't know if I would consider making an American adaptation from a foreign film a "remake" or not - You could add The Ring, The Grudge, Funny Games, Let Me In and (the upcoming) Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well. Still, that's another questionable practice, though it seems to turn out better than making a film based on a popular 80s television program - in my mind anyway.
09/16/2011

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

I'll just have to boycott the Beetle Juice remake. You hit the nail on the head about the laziness of Hollywood. They will continue to crank out these remakes as long as the public pays for them. How many times has Jason's hockey mask come to life? Sadly, the poor quality of these get-rich-quick movies outnumber the remake diamonds-in-the-rough; Ocean's 11 was pretty darned good. 09/16/2011

Hey - just remember Tim Burton himself remade Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (okay, technically it was based on a book) but I still prefer the original Gene Wilder version.

It's too early to say it will be a complete disaster, but I agree for the most part I tend to ignore remakes in the theaters and if I catch them it will be as a rental. There are always exceptions, but there has to be something pretty compelling to get me interested.
09/16/2011

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Charlie. With Charlie, Burton claims to follow the book more closely than the original Willy Wonka. So there are some great gems in the rough of remakes, but my original whine still stands: Leave the 80's in the 80's. If Hollywood wants to remake that whole decade of films, studios should get a Delorean and go back to wearing leg warmers.

Perhaps I'm being to posessive of the 80's since there are many remakes of 60's and 70's films. It just seems that within the last 5 years studios have all jumped on the 80's bus and they are refusing to get off.
09/17/2011

Northeast Kid
Northeast Kid
TV Extra

Let's be clear - The Ring and the Grudge are God Awful! The Grudge has a ranking of 8,286 on this site and The Ring has a rating of 1,601, also very poor. 09/17/2011

No no, no - Dark Water, Shutter, The Eye and Pulse are God-awful adaptations. At least The Ring and The Grudge are watchable and retain some atmosphere of the originals. Dawn of the Dead is really the only decent horror remake worth mentioning as far as I'm concerned. 09/19/2011

Rich
Rich
Movie Star

I was really reluctant to watch Burton's Willy Wonka but it was damn good, very different from the 70's version.  I love them both.  I think the problem is the idiotic blockbuster movie goers.  They'll see anything they're told is popular.  Quality is no longer a requirement, let alone originality.  I'd go see a remake of Beetle Juice before the majority of crappy movies out there today.  Beetle Juice was the first awesome movie I saw in a theater. Our theater only played one old cartoon kids' movie a year, blech.  Even as a youngin' I hated Snow White and Cinderella but I went just for the experience that one Wednesday in the summer.  Man, times have changed. Kids are so spoiled with so many new movies that they would never consider watching an old 80's flick.  Which is a shame because when I show those old 80's flicks in my classroom the kids really do love them.  So, I hope the remake of Beetle Juice is rated PG so I can show it without special parental permission but then again a rated R version would be even better.  Can you imagine turning it into a real quality spook fest?   Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! 09/22/2011

1  2  Next