Movie Pairs

Location: All Movie Forums / General Discussion / Movie Pairs
  LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

What two movies do you enjoy watching back-to-back? I think Goodfellas and Casino go well together.

05/28/2011

Comedy Night: Super Troopers and Big Lebowski

Best Original / Remake Comparison: Dawn of the Dead 1978 / 2004

Weirdest Pairing that Works: Grave of the Fireflies / My Neighbor Totoro (actually how it was shown in theaters originally, and there's a reason)

Shock and Awe: Martyrs / Requiem for a Dream (watch at your own risk)

Get ANGRY: Taxi Driver / Falling Down

Given enough time, I could go on all day!
06/12/2011

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Thanks for the input! I know what you mean about going on all day, and that's why I really love Filmcrave. Hubby is glad that I don't talk movie "nonsense" with him as much as I used to. I'll have to try these movie pairs out. 06/17/2011

Daniel Corleone
Daniel Corleone

Great twists: The Usual Suspects &
Romantic comedy: When Harry Met Sally & Sleepless in Seattle
Romantic films: Somewhere in Time & Time Travellers Wife
War films: Saving Private Ryan & Apocalypse Now
Dark Comedies: Heathers & Fight Club
80's music films: Hot Tub Time Machine & The Wedding Singer
80's comedies ala Hang Over: Revenge of the Nerds & Animal
House (this one first)
90's Gen X films: Reality Bites & Clerks
About drugs: Traffic (serious drama)  ;& Trainspotting (comedy)
About Aliens: Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind & The Day the Earth Stood Still or Independence Day
Food: Julie & Juliet and Eat, Pray, Love

Hope this helps :-)
Uplifting films: Shawshank Redemption & Sea Biscuit
07/04/2011

Christmas Films: A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life

(Twisted) Christmas Films: Bad Santa and Black Christmas

July 4th for War Fans: Saving Private Ryan and The Longest Day

July 4th for Anti-War Fans: Born on the 4th of July and Paths of Glory

Gritty Urban Teen Drama: Kids and Fish Tank

Benevolent Aliens: E.T. and The Day the Earth Stood Still (Original)

Bad-ass Aliens: Alien and Predator

Wipe-Out-Humanity Aliens: Independence Day and Battle: Los Angeles

Watch Out for Falling Rocks: Armageddon and Deep Impact

Prison Can Be Fun: The Rock and Con Air

07/07/2011

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

Uplifting: Miracle and Meet the Robinsons 07/07/2011

Snoogans
Snoogans

Cringe Inducing Teenage Sexual Horror:  Teeth and Deadgirl
Alien B-Movie Horror Comedy:  Feast and Slither
80's Vampires:  Fright Night and The Lost Boys
The Heist:  The Italian Job (2003) and Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Tony Jaa:  Ong Bak: The Tai Warrior and The Protector
Goofy Steve Martin Comedy:  The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains
Gut Busting Vulgar Comedies:  MacGruber and Team America: World Police
07/07/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

I was going to suggest Defiance with Daniel Craig among many talented others and The Way Back with Ed Harris, Colin Farrell and Jim Sturgess. Both of which films I love -- because they show the strength of the human spirit -- but that could be a long, rather challenging watch for a lot of people.

Maybe for something more exotic, out of the ordinary and more fun to take in: Harold and Maude with Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon along with The Stunt Man with Peter O'Toole, Barbara Hershey Steve Railsback.

I've been looking at the pairings suggested by other members and find them to be interesting...

And I vividly remember seeing Grave of the Fireflies -- I don't know how anyone would ever forget it having seen it -- but for some reason the art-house that showed it here, chose play it with a different film -- I think it might have been Dodes'ka-den -- which has a very interesting story line and story to the film itself involving Akira Kurosawa.

So why was it shown with My Neighbor Totoro, Tarken?

Oh, and I just thought of another pairing, one dark and serious, one light and not so serious, on the same basic subject: The Baader Meinhof Complex and Was tun, wenn's brennt?

I truly loved the 2nd of those two (Was tun, wenn's brent?) But then, I'm a child of the 60's...
07/12/2011