83rd Annual Academy Awards LIVE

Location: All Movie Forums / Oscar Talk, Nominees and 'Best of' Discussion / 83rd Annual Academy Awards LIVE
1 - 10 of 33 1  2  3  4  Next

Chris here, so countdown to Oscars have begun - I'm still hoping the Social Network will prevail against The King's Speech and apparently True Grit is making a final push as well.

They're still doing the whole red carpet thing, but I will be updating this topic as awards are presented, or if anything interesting happens (like a Banksy sighting!). If anyone happens to be out there, feel free to chime in with your own comments - I don't care if they're about the outfits or outrage over who won (or didn't win). I'll be here all night and follow up with a killer blog post.

Stay tuned!
02/27/2011

Why did it take so long to interview a host on the Red Carpet? Pfffft, because none of them looked like Anne Hathaway. 02/27/2011

Hey hey - now we have James Franco at the bar! He looks like he wants a drink, not a mic in his hand. I'm interested to see if two younger hosts can equal one older host. Meh, I'll hold my opinions until I see the opening of the show.

And Justin Timberlake has confirmed, it takes one hour to walk the Red Carpet - well, if you're important anyway. I bet the Key Grip for 127 Hours can get through in 15 minutes or so.
02/27/2011

Here we go! Ah, the old insert-yourself-into the best-picture nominees opening. plus Morgan Freeman and Alec Baldwin. And the mother-truckin' DeLorean. That was a pretty decent opening - and they didn't sing, so kudos for that as well. Onto the awards! 02/27/2011

Well, the opening monologue wasn't too painful with mothers and grandmothers and a Marky Mark joke. And now Tom Hanks is announcing the first award:

Art Direction: Winner - Alice in Wonderland - beating all three best picture nominated films, King Speech, True Grit and Inception. So we don't have a barometer yet.

Still, if Alice in Wonderland had one thing going for it, it was its out-of-this-world look. Kind of surprised Inception didn't take home the award, but we're moving on.

02/27/2011

Best Cinematography - Inception

Here we are agreed, Inception was the top dog, though True Grit and Black Swan were both also quite good in this department. Just going to have to wait for a few of the other awards to see if there is a slant for best picture or not.
02/27/2011

Nick
Nick

Alice in Wonderland deserves to win the art direction award.  The movie did look amazing. 02/27/2011

Nick
Nick

And thusly deserved on the cinematography front, Inception. 02/27/2011

Kudos to Kirk Douglas for making an appearance - the man's nearly reached the century mark and is still as ornery as ever.

Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo

So her little plug that go so much negative feedback wasn't enough to derail her Oscar win. I kind of had her pegged, but as a second opinion I was really impressed by Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit.

Oh, snap, good thing's Oscar's on a time delay or we might have another live F-bomb. That would have been fantastic.
02/27/2011

Justin Timberlake is not Banksy - and I want an app to give me an animated background whenever I want.

Best Animated Short Film: The Lost Thing

I only usually see the Pixar short film before the Oscars, and this year is no exception. So I don't really have much more to say, except congrats the winners.

Best Animated Film - Toy Story 3

I mean, was there really any doubt? This was pretty much a lock all year. If there was one award I had to stake anything one, this would be it. Still upset that Despicable Me wasn't nominated, even though it would have been beaten. Toy Story 3 is the best in the series and Pixar is has pretty much cornered the market on this award.
02/27/2011