Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations
71 - 80 of 84 Prev  ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  Next
  Northeast Kid
Northeast Kid
TV Extra

Eye - that's understandable. Usually all external links that are not using the link button in the forum post box, the posts are deleted. I would stick to using the link button. Do you know where that is? 09/16/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

So if linked text is the problem, no problem, here:

Gerry,

The films you noted: IN A BETTER WORLD, Tales From The Golden Age & Winter in Wartime sound like some pretty cerebral stuff -- and they seem like a potential life-line in the swirling sea of plastic, hi-jinx and happy horse pucks that are out there and seem to dominate the movie scene lately.

Kind of reminds me of the philosophy of A.K. the hero of the movie
Filth and Wisdom

-- a film that I loved, btw -- when he says:

"...if you spend your whole life as a saint, eventually you will crave the opposite, and the Filth will appear as an oasis in the desert. But if you spend you life in the gutter, sooner or later you will be searching for Wisdom. Like a pig sniffing for truffles. Filth and Wisdom - they're two sides of the same coin."

Watching the current glut of hoo-ha anything-goes gonzo cr*p movies is like living a life in the gutter -- one would hope that eventually people would be searching for some more satisfying brain food like a pig sniffing for truffles!

Oh, and if you haven't seen Filth & Wisdom, it's on DVD and I highly recommend it.

09/16/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

Like I said in a precious post some ways back, I've been watching a ton of movies lately both on DVD and in the theater and finally realized how much I adore Guy Ritchie movies.

I loved Snatch and recently watched Revolver & Rock n Rolla  which I'd say are killer great!

These films are something I could watch over and over and never tire of watching them -- especially Revolver at this point.  The word for it is enlightening.  I gathered a put together what I think might be the canonical list of quotes from the movie and those displayed in the credits/alternate ending -- which I want to post in a review here if I can ever get it written the way I want to write it.

But watching movies are writing reviews of them are kind of like living life and writing about it, it's d*mn near impossible to do both at the same time.  I find that I can write about life or live it, watch movies or write about them, but cannot do both at the same time.

09/16/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

Thanks, NE Kid.  !:]

I don't exactly know where the button of which you speak is located but if you point it out for me, I will use it in the future.
09/16/2011

the hitcha
the hitcha
Director

Godfather trilogy in blu ray
Just got it and mate was i blown away by how much clearer it was,compared to dvd. Never get sick of watching this classic!
09/18/2011

the hitcha
the hitcha
Director

The Brood
Just watched it today and yes its a 1970s classic horror, but really worth a look! Its about a woman who gives birth to these freaks that start killing. It made the must see 100 horror movies book.
09/23/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Wrecked

Adrien Brody rocked in this movie! My favorite performance of his since Darjeeling Limited. 127 Hours meets Memento, that's how I would describe it. A guy wakes up with amnesia, bruised and battered, in a wrecked car at the bottom of a ravine. Dead body in the back seat. The plot ensues from there. A few nice twists get thrown into the mix along the way. Highly recommend this flick!

Carlos

The story of Venezuelan revolutionary Ilich Ramírez Sánchez (aka Carlos The Jackal), who founded a worldwide terrorist organization and raided the 1975 OPEC meeting. Primarily a fictional depiction of the real events. Really cool stuff. It originally aired as TV mini series and it won a Golden Globe in 2010. Great, great flick. Édgar Ramírez, who plays Carlos, is a total badass.

Saint

Wow. What more can you say about a film that depicts a killer Santa Claus? This film was really entertaining. For me, it ranks right up there with Black Sheep in terms of horror-comedies. Fans of the genre, this is a must-see!

Love, Wedding, Marriage

Romantic comedy film directed by Dermot Mulroney, starring Mandy Moore and Kellan Lutz. I thought both of the leads were great in this. Was happy to see Mandy Moore getting back into film - she's beautiful and has excellent screen presence.

Chalet Girl

Very solid rom-com, starring Ed Westwick, Felicity Jones, Bill Nighy, Brooke Shields, and Sophia Bush. Frankly I was a little surprised I hadn't heard of it sooner - I thought it was hysterical!
09/29/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

The Caller

Pleasantly surprised by this flick! I've read some commentary that criticized the filmmakers for borrowing from a few different horror films past. What isn't borrowed these days? I thought they did an excellent job. Stephen Moyer and Rachelle Lefevre were great as the two main leads. And Lorna Raver scared the s**t out of me. Damn that lady is creepy!

Onigamiden: Legend of the Millennium Dragon

Beautifully animated and a badass plot. Hirotsugu Kawasaki (director) did a phenomenal job bringing this legend to life. The story goes like this: a seemingly average/every-day school boy is thrust back in time 1200 years to the Heian period in Japan, where he is deemed the savior to a village of people. Initially he doubts his ability, but he soon realizes that this is no joke - he really is their only hope. He ultimately comes into his own and tames a pretty awesome 8-headed dragon in the process to save the day (as you might expect).

Anyways, if you're into anime or just animation generally, you should check this out. Very impressive artwork!    ;
10/19/2011

Wow - haven't updated in a while, so bear with me:

The Disappearance of Alice Creed - A good idea that would have worked much better as a short than a full-length film. They just didn't have enough gas to stretch it far enough.

Case 39 - If you've seen one "scary" kid flick, you've seen them all. I'll stick with The Omen or Orphan over this one.

The Last Exorcism - If it wasn't for the ludicrous ending, it would be a keeper. Really great visuals early on ruined by the last 15 minutes.

TRON: Legacy - The Dude still abides in a digital world. Striking visuals, excellent soundtrack and interesting story. Some may think there is too much exposition going on, but it worked for me.

Ironclad - If you like violence, this film is for you. Lots of medieval clashing with buckets of gore and scene-chewing dialogue to match.

Benny's Video - A disturbing look into isolation by Michael Haneke. A bit plodding at times, but worth it if you're a fan of the director.

Missing Pieces - An indie film I happened to receive as a screener. A great film from a first-time director that puts most blockbusters to shame. It starts off a little rough, but the emotional payout is worth sticking through to the end.

Dead and Buried - An 80s horror that ages surprisingly well compared to many others from this time period. I didn't have any trouble figuring out what was going on, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the death scenes.
10/21/2011

A few highlights of what I've seen recently:

Moneyball - Finally got around to watching a film that is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar this year. It was pretty good, both in story and with the characters. I need to see more films to know whether it truly deserves its spot, but for now I would say it's a good choice.

Rubber - One of the more bizarre films I can think of in recent memory about a tire that blows up heads and a sheriff that delights in breaking the fourth wall. Truly a unique and just plain weird experience.

Army of Shadows - Criterion film about the French Resistance. While it moves at a slow pace, it tells a remarkable story. The decisions that had to be made are not easy, and this film doesn't make things pleasant in the least.

The Cove / Best Worst Movie - In my ongoing New Year's resolution to watch more documentaries, these are my two favorites. One is on the needless slaughter of dolphins in Japan, the other is on a truly horrendous "horror" movie that has gained a cult following. The couldn't be further apart from each other, but both struck a nerve with me and are highly recommended.

Summer Wars - In my personal ongoing effort to make Anime a respectable genre for mainstream audiences, I also recommend this film that is equal parts family dynamics and the perils of putting too much faith in online virtual worlds. Visually it's spectacular and it has characters you can relate to. A knockout.
02/07/2012