Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations
61 - 70 of 84 Prev  ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next
  ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

S.W.A.T. Firefight.

This was a great follow up to the 2003 film. It doesn't have the star power of the first, but I thought the cast did a great job nonetheless. The one very recognizable face in the film is Robert Patrick, who plays the villain. I've always thought highly of him in the villain role - esp. after Terminator 2. I also thought it was great that they filmed in Detroit. I'm happy to see Detroit getting some love from Hollywood. Very solid action film. The training sequences were especially cool.
03/22/2011

I'll have to put Inside Job on my watch list!

Now that I have the wonder of Netflix on my PS3 I can catch up with a bunch of movies from last year - mainly in the thriller/horror department.

Frozen, After.Life, Grace, Monsters and Exam are all recent films I finally had the opportunity to watch. Exam was probably my favorite out of the bunch, as it reminded me of Cube and After.Life was good if only to see Liam Neeson in a much darker role. Grace was a good psychological horror film with a killer ending while Frozen and Monsters had moments, but didn't quite win me over. I have a feeling I'll have more to report on soon enough.
03/19/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

INSIDE JOB

A bunch of my friends had recommended this one. After seeing them capture the Oscar for best doc, I figured it was high time I watch it. The content of the documentary is excellent. In addition to that, the film is beautifully shot. Very well done. Very Entertaining. They really break down the financial crisis nicely, in terms that pretty much anyone can understand. I also enjoyed the narration by Matt Damon. Oh and one more subtle detail, but I felt like it made the film better - the film score/soundtrack is great. All in all, I'd say that Inside Job definitely earned its Oscar.

03/16/2011

The three I just watched:

Godfather Part II - A genuine classic, better than the first part, exceptional in every way. If you're a fan of film, you can't pass this (or the first part) up. I'll be watching Part III soon - I'll see how it measures up compared to the first two.

Let Me In - Remake of the Swedish Let the Right One In. I might give a slight edge to the original, but I rated both the same because they follow the same story and the casting and emotions brought out are just as good for both films. If you're tired of all the Twilight crap, this is the vampire movie you should see.

The Informers - Not for everyone's taste for sure. The main reason I had trouble with it is not the setting - it's the characters, many of whom I simply wanted to throw in front of a moving train because of the following reasons: shallow, petty, spineless, a-holes, greedy, clueless, uncaring - well, you get the idea. I just really didn't care for the characters in the film, though the actors who portrayed them can't be that bad, right?
03/04/2011

The A-Team - Well, it's pretty much a straight-forward action film with some cheesy bits and references to the original series. It was OK, but I'm glad I didn't see it in theaters. Entertaining enough, but I would only recommend it to action fans. 02/28/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

I also thought The Town was better than expected. Really liked John Hamm in that detective role.

Faster:

I found this film to be really entertaining. It is what it is - a meat and potatoes action film. That said, there are also some effective twists in the plot that make it better than most from this genre of action film. I very much enjoyed Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" in the lead role. He plays the badass role really well. Maybe it's the fact that he can actually kick my butt in real life. The rest of the cast is pretty good too. I never would have expected to see BIlly Bob Thornton in a film with The Rock, but it worked. Billy Bob is also very good. I would recommend this film to any action fan or any viewer who is looking for some raw entertainment (aka gun fights and $h*t blowing up).

Get Low:
Robert Duvall and BIll Murray - need I say more? Both of these guys are among my favorite actors of all time, so it was given that I would enjoy the film. Bill Murray has a unique way of blending comedy with drama. In Get Low he displays that ability quite nicely. The acting is phenomenal across the board. Lucas Black's performance is another one that stands out, aside from Murray and Duvall.  Film is also very beautifully shot. I read that this was director Aaron Schneider's first film. He did an excellent job.
02/25/2011

Looks like I'll have to put Animal Kingdom on my list to watch.

I recently watched The Town - which was better than expected. And just last night W. - which had damn fine casting and uncannily good portrayals of political figures. Probably best to watch if you lean more towards the left than the right.
02/17/2011

Tasha
Tasha
Movie Star

I just watched Animal Kingdom the other night and really enjoyed it 02/16/2011

Alex
Alex

I saw Animal Kingdom over the week. Not too bad. Pretty good really though it is not Goodfellas or anything close like many people call it. Gangster fans should check it out though. 02/11/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Tamara Drewe  - The film is a rather witty British comedy on love and sex. The title character Tamara Drewe is played by the very beautiful Gemma Arterton. Not many other notable appearances, but all of the characters are hilarious - especially the two teenage girls.  The film is based on a comic strip/graphic novel by the same title. That comic strip was regarded as a modern reworking on Thomas Hardy's novel "Far from the Madding Crowd."

Didn't really have any expectations going into it and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.
02/09/2011