Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations
51 - 60 of 84 Prev  ... 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - While Nicolas Cage is still Nicolas Cage, he actually turns in a rather good performance here going from drug-fueled delusion to concerned cop in the blink of an eye. It's still flawed but worth a watch.

House of the Devil - Not impressed by this throwback horror film. It moved much too slow for me and the payoff wasn't nearly worth the price of sitting through a boring first 3/4 to get to.
05/28/2011

The Green Hornet

Really enjoyed Green Hornet. I'm a big Seth Rogen fan, so I naturally enjoyed his performance. Christoph Waltz was also great; after watching him in Inglorious Basterds, I am convinced that he is the perfect villain. The one who really impressed me is Jay Chou, who plays Kato. He was hilarious! He and Seth Rogen made such a great  comedic team.

The Mechanic

Jason Statham has said that The Mechanic is more grown up than his other work. I thought exactly that when I was watching the film. And I thought he played the role of Arthur Bishop perfectly. Likewise, I thought Ben Foster played the role of Steve very well. And the action - amazing stuff! I can't even imagine the amount of work and money that went into stunts and special effects.  Great film!
05/24/2011

ScaryGerry

THE HIT LIST. Cuba Gooding Jr. was awesome in this film! He plays a hitman, Jonas,  who starts taking out Cole Hauser's coworkers/family at Hauser's (joking/accidental) request. The plot really begins when Hauser figures it out and tries to stop Jonas. Very suspenseful. I'd definitely categorize it as a "psychological thriller"

_________________________ ____________________

THE ILLUSIONIST. Created by a French mime, director & actor Jacques Tati in 1956. It was written as a personal letter to his estranged eldest daughter. It's interesting to note that before watching the film. Also that the main character is an animated version of Tati. Very cool film, it received Oscar recognition for good reason!

_________________________ ____________________

DROP DEAD DIVA. This was my gf's call. She's kind of insane about this show. That said, I have to admit that it's actually an entertaining show. Margaret Cho was my fav character on the show. Always got a kick out of her.

_________________________ ____________________

05/17/2011

SNIPER: RELOADED

As a big fan of the series, I was pumped about this one. I like how they tie them all together with the family connection. Thomas Beckett (Tom Berenger) isn't in this one, but is son is one of the main characters. I thought that was a cool spin in the series. Overall, it's a great, suspenseful action flick. The whole Sniper concept is such a badass route for an action protagonist.

I recommend "Sniper: Reloaded" if you're a fan of the series or if you're simply a fan of action films.

05/10/2011

Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance - Not a lot of anime fans around here, but this second film in the re-imagined relaunch of the original television series introduces much more fresh ideas than the original film (which was essentially and updated, condensed version of the TV show). They spend a lot of time to craft this film, and it's visually stunning - so much so that I went with the Blu-Ray over DVD version - and I like they went a different direction with characters and the angels. All in all, if you ever watched the original series, you owe it to yourself to watch this updated version. 04/18/2011

Country Strong

Gwyneth Paltrow played a really convincing drunk/ recovering drunk. I've read that she consulted Robert Downey Jr. for the role. Seriously. You feel sorry for her and you want her to succeed, but at the same time you just kind of want to shake her and yell "snap out of it!" ... and then the ending. Whew!

Anyways, great film. I really appreciated that all of the actors actually sang their own tunes. The story is much more believable that way. It really made the film for me. They're all legitimately talented.
04/15/2011

Knight and Day -

I admit I wasn't expecting to like this much - but Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz really looked like they were having a good time and even if the story was a bit lacking, with the two leads it was at least a lot of fun to watch, plus the action sequences were good too.

Cabin Fever 2 -

Without Eli Roth, this isn't nearly as fun as the original. It goes for much more gross-out horror/humor but if you like your horror tongue-in-cheek, this could be worth at least a watch. Just expect to groan as much as you cringe.
04/09/2011

Made in Dagenham

The film is based on a true story of the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968. The strike was huge for female laborers worldwide and led to the Equal Pay Act of 1970 (or so says wiki). Made in Dagenham dramatically depicts the events surrounding that strike. The lead role is played by Sally Hawkins, who is awesome in the film. Very, very funny. She plays Rita who unwittingly ends up in the forefront of this strike. As you can imagine, Ford gets pissed about the strike and drama ensues. I won't say much more, except that the supporting cast is also great. Albert Passingham and Miranda Richardson play memorable supporting roles in the film. Very uplifting. Not exactly the chick flick that I expected before watching. Definitely recommend Made in Dagenham.
03/30/2011

Lake Mungo - If you're looking for something a little different, this is a pretty good docu-horror film that looks like it could have really taken place (use of news footage, home videos, cell phone videos etc.) but is entirely fictional. Plus it went from ghost story, to family drama then back to ghost story. Interesting!

The Fourth Kind - On the other hand, this is blatantly pandering to the "is it real or not?" crowd by purporting to be a based on "real" events when it's completely fictional. Unlike Lake Mungo, I was not impressed by the actors vs. the "real" video footage. Skip it.

The Boys & Girls Guide to Getting Down - To quote Monty Python: "And now for something completely different." This is an indie comedy gem - it's a how-to guide in the vein of 60s and 70s classroom aides, but based on partying - I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by the humor - high and lowbrow - but hey, at least now I know how to spot a coke fiend and how to best pick up chicks and get to the after party.
03/26/2011

How Do You Know

I didn't know much about this film before watching it. Needless to say, I was surprise to see multiple all-star cast members associated with it: Jack Nicholson, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon. Not to mention, it was directed and written by James L. Brooks. A thoroughly entertaining comedy. I just find it entertaining to see several of my fav actors on screen at once, as they are in this film. Totally worth the watch. Has some really hilarious moments; you're bound to when you you have Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson on screen together.

Stand By Me

"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" - One of my favorite films of all time. Especially near and dear to me because it's a film from my childhood. I just picked up the bluray. In my opinion, it should be a required film for anyone's collection. Such an interesting cast, way before anyone knew who they were.

The Tourist

This film has such a classy feel to it. So much elegance and luxury visually, topped off by two of the biggest stars hollywood has to offer. It's just cool to watch them interact on screen together - and in Venice of all places! I particularly enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance. I think he really nailed the role of the seemingly-genius idiot, as contradictory as that description sounds. The tackles a little bit of all genres Drama/Comedy/Mystery/Susp ense, etc which makes it pretty unique.
03/24/2011