Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations
31 - 40 of 84 Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next
  ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Beastly, which If you haven't seen is a modern day retelling of Beauty and The Beast. I thought they did an excellent job adapting the film from the Alex Flinn book (which I also enjoyed). Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens have great chemistry on screen together. And the supporting roles are spectacular - Neil Patrick Harris (so funny in this role) and Mary-Kate Olsen are my two favs. Overall a very cool retelling of the original. Very entertaining film. Highly recommend!
07/27/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Of Gods and Men

A true story following the kidnapping and murder of 7 trappist monks during the 1996 Algerian Civil War. Film won the Grand Prix award at Cannes. It is beautifully shot and beautifully acted. The two leads, Michael Lonsdale and Lambert Wilson, are incredible in their roles. It is hard not to fall in love with the both of them. And moreover, the film shines a beautiful light on Islam and Christianity coexisting in harmony. Great film - one of the best I have seen in 2011!
07/26/2011

Chan-wook Park crafted the "Vengeance Trilogy" - of which Oldboy is the middle chapter. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are the other two. It's not necessary to watch in any order, but if you like one, you should check out the other two. I believe Thirst is available in Netflix, I will have to check that out before long. Park also has a segment in 3 Extremes.

While I don't think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo needed a remake, I'll check it out if only because it's David Fincher, a man who knows how to make movies.
07/20/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

Tark...

I'm interested in seeing I Saw the Devil... Don't yet know anything about Oldboy, yet, (other than your recommend)... Also would like to see Madeo, which you recommended...  and Jerry's recommend  reminded me want to go back and watch DasBoot again.

On the remakes, I agree that not everything has to be Americanized.  The example on my mind right now is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Noomi Rapace is the perfect girl, she has a beautiful face and brains and is honest with her natural body... not all girls need be silicone enhanced "pneumatic girls" in the Brave New World sense of that term...  nor have Barbie doll faces.

And Michael Nyqvist has just the right craggy face and mature body for the part he played there's no need to go all James Bond with his Blomkvist character.

Tho' I have to admit the trailers of the remake show some exciting camera work and rather gorgeous winter scenery...

Still, why not pay an actual new living writer to write something new in the same or similar vein instead of scavenging and reworking the material of the dead?  Though I guess it costs somewhat less to go that way...  or not...  ????

Okay.  Gotta run.  So many movies, so little time! *L*
07/19/2011

I have a soft spot for anything remotely zombie related (movie or game). On that note, I've seen both some great and terrible films in that genre.

I forgot to mention I also watched Faster - pretty brutal for an action flick and a bit darker than say, The A-Team or whatever else passes for action films these days. However, it was way too predictable for my tastes. For true revenge awesomeness, go with I Saw the Devil or Oldboy - it doesn't get much better or disturbing.

I see Hollywood is trying to put together an Oldboy remake and it saddens me. Just like Rec and Quarantine, some movies don't need to be Americanized. Oldboy is fine as it stands.
07/19/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

Tarkin,

The Caterpillar is actually the reason I bought Rampo Noir. I feel certain the story is very disturbing, but it sounded so darkly interesting and reminded me of a couple of things: One was a movie in which a man who was in good health wakes up in a hospital minus a leg, and the next time he goes to sleep & wakes up he's minus the other leg and every time he sleeps he awakes minus one more limb... that movie caused me to feel horror in every cell of my body.

Maybe I'll look into 3 Extremes, once I work up the je ne sais quoi to watch Rampo.

The hubby & I saw The Fighter & 127 Hours in the theater.

I actually knew chicks like the Fighter's mother and sisters when we lived in CT for awhile -- trash-talkin', spoilin' for a fight, sittin' around, drinkin' smokin and knittin' baby booties -- a New England redneck thing maybe?  !;]

BTW, I adore James Franco and though he and Hathaway were really cute & funny as hosts, but in any case, my favorite line from 127 Hours was him saying the single word: "Oooops," the way he said it and it's meaningfulness in context, you know?

Oh, and I just watched [REC] the other night, just to see if it really was the same movie as Quarantine, and lo and behold, it was!  Yuck! If I may say so.  Don't believe I'll go any further with that sequence of flicks.

07/18/2011

Indeed I have seen Rampo Noire - the Caterpillar is the most disturbing story. Not quite as good as 3 Extremes, but if you're a fan of the genre, it's worth checking out.

As for what I've seen, in my quest to catch up on all the great movies from last year:

The Fighter - Another great drama - Christian Bale steals the show, though the other actors are also in top form. Worthy of the awards it receive.

127 Hours - James Franco proves once again that he can be something other than the laid-back stoner type (and I forgive his awkward stint as Oscar host). Very tense drama and the scene where he escapes is just tough to watch, more so in that it actually happened.

[REC] 2 - Okay, not on par with the last two at all, but I like zombie-type movies. Why mess things up with a bunch of religious nonsense? Bah, I prefer viruses and living dead to demonic possession any day. Good visuals, though.
07/18/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

-  full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
-  extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
-  overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some
07/15/2011

The Eye
The Eye
Movie Star

I watched The Eye with Jessica Alba for the first time, yesterday.

BTW, that's not where my ID came from.

It comes from a time when an artist or film maker with vision was called "The Eye." I belonged to a film makers club here in Charleston, SC over 2 decades ago -- but that's neither here nor there.

I'm sure most movie horror fans have already seen The Eye, long since, but I thought it worth noting since it scared the skin off me.

It takes me awhile to work up the nerve to watch psychological horror movies, which I actually like, though I detest slasher flicks.

I've bought Rampo Noir to watch, but so far have not been ready to crack it. Has anybody here, seen it? Tarken, maybe?

I also watched Australia , with Hugh Jackman & Nichol Kidman which is a brilliant film and has the works, humor, drama, romance, wonderful visuals, everything!

I watched Noise , with Tim Robbins. Based on real life events -- however loosely -- it was a kind of interesting study in human psychology and behavior.

I watched Mad Song , which was pretty good for a low-budget film, with just a touch of prurient interest with a little Alfred Hitchcock in the mix.

Then later I watched Hancock (Will Smith), which I found to be abysmally stupid and pointless -- even though I like the 3 main actors very much.

But I come from an age in which Super Heros were the strong silent type who saved lives, sucked up whatever existential pain and angst they might have suffered and spare the audience the trite boo-hoos.

Today, I watched Slipstream , which is right up my alley, so I enjoyed it very much. It's rather surreal, but I like that in a movie.

I also watched There Will Be Blood . Strange assembly of bastards amongst the characters and a really villainous anti-hero hero. But the movie was worth seeing the slice of life of that time, and also to see a false prophet get his earthly reward.

And finally I watched Elizabethtown , cute but stretches one's willing suspension of disbelief...

Hope I'm not overdoing it or being boring here with all the entries. I should probably put them in as parts of reviews on each...

This just seems a bit more interactive.

07/12/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Barney's Version

I'm convinced that Paul Giamatti's presence in any film automatically validates it. Argue with me all you want, but I have yet to see a film of his that I didn't enjoy.

Barney's Version is a showcase of Paul Giamatti at his best. The story takes us through a roller coaster of experiences that is the life of Canadian TV producer Barney Panofsky. In my opinion, no other actor is better suited to interpret this ride than Giamatti. His character is not likable, yet somehow P.G. manages to captivate you and even convince you to root for him; a testament to his acting ability no doubt. The supporting cast is phenomenal too, with notable roles by Dustin Hoffman (my absolute favorite), Minnie Driver, and Rosamund Pike.

There's a reason why Barney's Version received such high acclaim during awards season. Highly recommend!
07/12/2011