Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recently Watched DVDs/ DVD recommendations
21 - 30 of 84 Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next
  ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Tales From The Golden Age

The film received Un Certain Regard at Cannes, which is a big deal if you're not familiar. Really incredible stuff. It's a comedy that captures life during the Ceausescu regime in Romania. I have to say - with no prior knowledge of the country before watching, I was really impressed and intrigued. It was a tough time, but even in tough times people always seem to find room for humor. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. Great film!
08/25/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Winter in Wartime. Based on a novel by the same title, the film  follows the story of a Dutch boy in wartime Europe who stumbles upon and decides to help a stranded British pilot. I thought it was a cool perspective on the WWII drama. The film won a bunch of awards at multiple festivals. 08/24/2011

13 Assassins - I cannot recommend this movie enough if you are an action fan - even more so if you like Samurai action. One of the best films I have seen all year - great characters and one epic battle - you can't go wrong. 08/22/2011

Tangled - I have to say, I thought this was pretty good for Disney. While it may not have quite given Pixar a run for its money, the story and characters were good and I thought it was quite fun. The only downside were the somewhat lackluster songs, which felt shoe-horned in as opposed to part of the story, but overall a good animated film.

The New Daughter - I took a chance and for the first half - 2/3 of the film, I thought things were going to work out... then they had to throw in the ridiculous meaning behind the whole film and just ruin things. A classic example of how a bad ending can ruin a good film.
08/19/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Jumping The Broom

A breath of fresh air in a genre otherwise dominated by played-out Tyler Perry films. Acting and script alike make this film the gem that it is. It's a comedy, so you can assume happy ending, but there are a few great little twists in the plot that make the film much more interesting, and allow it to effectively avoid cliche status.

Angela Bassett & Loretta Devine, two of my fav actresses in Hollywood, were both outstanding.

08/17/2011

Nick
Nick

I agree with Chris.  This movie is a good rental.  Interesting, but yet simple film, that makes you think.

08/16/2011

Source Code - A film that came out earlier in the year that looked good, but I wasn't quite ready to watch in theaters. It was quite good, however. The story was interesting and Jake Gyllenhaal actually showed some range.

And it looks like Burke and Hare is coming out Sept. 9 - a black, British comedy. I'll have to look into that one.
08/15/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Burke and Hare

Big fan of Simon Pegg, so I was pretty amped to see this one. I heard about it back in 2010 when it received a UK theatrical release. From what I understand, it's getting a US theatrical release in the near future. Currently it's getting a pre-theatrical release on SundanceNOW - a newer thing they seem to be doing quite a bit now. You can stream it there. Otherwise, maybe wait till it hits theaters.

The story is hilarious - a black comedy based loosely on the real Burke & Hare murders in Scotland in 1820s. I thought Pegg was perfect for his role, as was Andy Serkis. Also has an all-star cast supporting cast in Isla Fisher, Tim Curry and Tom Wilkinson.

"I had confidence in a fart once, then I shat all over myself" - William Burke (Simon Pegg)
08/05/2011

Winter's Bone - Although it was a pretty depressing film, Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. Not a feel-good movie at all, but quite a powerful film. Can't wait to see how Lawrence does in The Hunger Games. 08/05/2011

ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Boyz N The Hood

An iconic film of the 90s and a personal favorite of mine. They just released it on Blu-ray. Special features on the disc are great. I highly recommended the John Singleton commentary when watching.
08/05/2011