Recent book-to-film adaptations I enjoyed

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / Recent book-to-film adaptations I enjoyed
  ScaryGerry
ScaryGerry

Over the weekend, I had the chance to watch Eat Pray Love & Pillars of The Earth. Both books originally and both great adaptations.

Given EPL's insane top seller status, I think it's only appropriate that the film adaptation was a big blockbuster. One thing in particular that stuck out for me was the film's score. I thought it was scored beautifully. Cinematography was also beautiful. My fav character from the film was by far Richard (played by Richard Jenkins), who she meets in India.

Pillars was originally a miniseries on the Starz network, which I think was more appropriate than a feature, as the book was rather long. Very well done. I especially enjoyed Donald Sutherland as Bartholomew.

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fb cdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/h s090.ash2/37836_468726091 392_364240691392_6550009_ 6455309_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot .com/_lweymjmz4GY/TAW_3gf 1zVI/AAAAAAAAPoU/79TdeNBv SVk/s1600/donald_sutherla nd_pillars_of_the_earth.j pg[/img]
11/29/2010

Daniel Corleone
Daniel Corleone

Eat, Pray Love had a lot of criticism.  I felt it was enjoyable and thougth provoking.  Good locations as well. 07/04/2011

I just re-watched To Kill a Mockingbird. I won't say it's the best adaptation, but it has to be in the top 5-10. I also enjoyed the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Looking forward to seeing if the American remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Hunger Games and World War Z will do a decent job.
07/07/2011

LeeAnn M.
LeeAnn M.

I'm looking forward to watching The Help. Emma Stone is making great choices in the roles she plays, and I have always been a fan of Octavia Spencer. I am glad she is in more mainstream films as of late. 07/07/2011

Alex
Alex

I would like to see the Ringworld series be put into a book as well as some other sci fi. With the advancements of SFX in the last 5 years there is so much more possibilities. 07/10/2011

Books I would like to see get a great adaptation:

#1: The Dark Tower Series - Currently set for a 2013 release but man, I don't know if Ron Howard can get this done, plus it's already been delayed. If they can get this right, it will be epic.

#2: Ender's Game - Been in development hell for ages - needs to be done, but done right. Casting would be crucial.

#3 Y: The Last Man and/or Preacher - Two amazing graphic novels that would work much better on cable (HBO or Showtime). Been talk and rumors for a long time, but nothing solid.
07/11/2011