IMDB is shutting down all of their message boards by Feburary 20!

Location: All Movie Forums / General Discussion / IMDB is shutting down all of their message boards by Feburary 20!
  Indyfreak
Indyfreak

And I don't mean just the general topics like politics but ALL of them. What on Earth would possess them to come to such a decision? 02/03/2017

Based on the stories online the most likely reason(s) seems to be: the community has been inundated with trolls and the like that have turned many topics into toxic cesspools. Trying to keep up with moderation also takes time and money.

Traffic is much higher on their social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter,etc).

The design hasn't changed much since 1998 and is simply outdated and a chore to navigate for newer (younger) users.

I can't say I'm too surprised, but I'm sure many long-time users will be upset to say the least.
02/03/2017

Indyfreak
Indyfreak

I actually have a 2 year old account with IMDb.
I tried to avoid the politics section and general boards;those are absolute trash. People on there are freaking insane. Make Trump seem like Einstein. The boards for film and television weren't that bad. A lot of us just had fun speculating about upcoming features.
We're all very upset that IMDb just painted us all with a broad stroke and shut all the boards down instead of just the general boards where all the trolls lurk at. It's unfair but that's life now I guess.
02/03/2017

They claim that most of their users will not be affected by the shut down, but I would be interested to see if their traffic takes a hit after then completely shut things down. I haven't been on the boards for awhile, but I visit the site regularly and do read the comments from time to time. I don't exactly understand the reasoning myself - but it seems it's easier to get rid of something then to try to make things better. 02/04/2017

Andrew
Andrew

I was very disappointed to read this. But I found this place at least. I think they will take a big hit in traffic. 02/05/2017

Andrew
Andrew

Also, I never used the general boards and found the trolling to be very tolerable in the TV/movie boards. 02/05/2017

the thing with trolls is to keep going. stopping to read the second sentence is the trap.

It's reality. My IMDb account was more than ten years old, or whenever they became a thing.
08/07/2017

MovieGal
MovieGal
Aspiring Actress

I joined here recently especially FOR the message boards and forums. I won't be back if I can't use the site to talk about one of my favorite subjects :) 08/12/2017

Top Films of 2011 by Neobowler