2009 Oscar Nominees Announced

Location: All Movie Forums / Oscar Talk, Nominees and 'Best of' Discussion / 2009 Oscar Nominees Announced
  Alex
Alex

Performance by an actor in a leading role
  • Richard Jenkins (The Visitor)
  • Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
  • Sean Penn (Milk)
  • Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
  • Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
  • Josh Brolin (Milk)
  • Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder)
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt)
  • Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)
  • Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
  • Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)
  • Angelina Jolie (Changeling)
  • Melissa Leo (Frozen River)
  • Meryl Streep (Doubt)
  • Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
  • Amy Adams (Doubt)
  • Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
  • Viola Davis (Doubt)
  • Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
  • Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)

Best animated feature film of the year
  • Bolt

• Australia, Catherine Martin
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Jacqueline West
  • The Duchess, Michael O’Connor
  • Milk, Danny Glicker
  • Revolutionary Road, Albert Wolsky

Achievement in directing
  • David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
  • Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon)
  • Gus Van Sant (Milk)
  • Stephen Daldry (The Reader)
  • Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)

Best documentary feature
  • The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)
  • Encounters at the End of the World
  • The Garden
  • Man on Wire
  • Trouble the Water

Achievement in makeup
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Greg Cannom
  • The Dark Knight, John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan
  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement in film editing
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
  • The Dark Knight, Lee Smith
  • Frost/Nixon, Mike Hill and Dan Hanley
  • Milk, Elliot Graham
  • Slumdog Millionaire, Chris Dickens

Best foreign language film of the year
  • The Baader Meinhof Complex
  • The Class
  • Departures
  • Revanche
  • Waltz With Bashir

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Alexandre Desplat
  • Defiance, James Newton Howard
  • Milk, Danny Elfman
  • Slumdog Millionaire, A.R. Rahman
  • WALL•E, Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
  • “Down to Earth” from WALL-E (Walt Disney), Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, Lyric by Peter Gabriel
  • “Jai Ho” from Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight), Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar
  •  “O Saya” from Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight), Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman andMaya Arulpragasam

Achievement in sound editing
  • The Dark Knight, Richard King
  • Iron Man, Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes
  • Slumdog Millionaire, Tom Sayers
  • WALL•E, Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood
  • Wanted, Wylie Stateman

Achievement in sound mixing
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Mark Weingarten
  • The Dark Knight, Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick
  • Slumdog Millionaire, Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty
  • WALL•E,Tom Myers, Michael Semanick and Ben Burtt
  • Wanted, Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt

Achievement in visual effects
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
  • The Dark Knight, Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
  •  Iron Man, John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

Adapted screenplay
  • Eric Roth & Robin Swicord (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
  • John Patrick Shanley (Doubt)
  • Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon)
  • David Hare (The Reader)
  • Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire)

Original screenplay
  • Courtney Hunt (Frozen River)
  • Mike Leigh (Happy-Go-Lucky)
  • Martin McDonagh (In Bruges)
  • Dustin Lance Black (Milk)
  • Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon (WALL•E)
Best Picture

We will be streaming the winners live on Sunday, February 22nd.  Discuss the nominees, the should have beens, and the winners when they are announced, right here, on the forum.
01/22/2009

SaraT
SaraT
Aspiring Actress

Nice.  I can't wait!  I hope Milk wins, actually.  Penn was fantastic. 01/22/2009

filmfan09
filmfan09

I knew Wall-E and The Dark Knight weren't going to get a Best Picture nom but it still sadden me. At least the TDK has it's nominations for 7 technical awards and  Heath Ledger Supporting Actor nom, which I KNOW is going to win.

What surpises me is that I can't beliveve Sally Hawkins got snubed for a Best Actress nom and Bruce Springsteen for Best Original Song in The Wrestler. Since when did they move the noms down to 3 in the song category? (Inculding no nominations for Best Picture and Director for The Wrestler.) And why is Kate Winslet nominated for Best Actress when the awards she has won for "The Reader" have all been for Supporting Actress...??? I'm glad Michael Shannon was nominated for Revolutionary Road. But no nominations for Leo or Kate. What's Going On Here??? Why is there love for Gran Torino? No nom for clint as Best Director or Actor. Even Christopher Nolan should have had a spot for Best Director not Stephen Daldry.

The Oscars can go to hell.

01/22/2009

filmfan09
filmfan09

Also I glad to see Richard Jenkins and Robert Downey Jr. get notice. I though they were gonna be long shots. Revoulutionary Road received ONLY 3 nominations??! How is that possible? Kate did a terrific job, and Leo was quite good too. I expected two Best Actress nominations for Winslet and definitely a Best Picture nomination for the movie! How come that Sam Mendes didn't get nominated in the Best Director category? I did see and like The Reader, so let me say I think it's good but am still shocked that all this Oscar love came out of nowhere.

Benjamin Button is completely overrated. It was good technically, but did not work as well for me. Benjamin Button should be the movie that only has technical oscar noms. That movie seriously underwhelmed me. I really hope Cruz picks up the oscar, it looks like the odds are on her side. I still can't believe Gran Torino didn't get anything. Exactly how do these movies get nominated these days? I just dont understand. That said I'm happy to see In Bruges got at least a nod for script. Also whats with the Hellboy 2 snub, seriously it deserves a nom in most if not all technical categories. The Reader is a silly pic for best picture, The Wrestler should really take it's place. I don't think we need another film about the Holocaust, do we?
01/22/2009

patjohnson76
patjohnson76

Yikes - that last line about the Holocaust is a little harsh, filmfan09.
It's very difficult to score a nomination for a comedy, which hurt Sally Hawkins' chances.  I am surprised at only 3 nominations in the Best Song category, I wonder if these 3 just ran away with the noms and there just wasn't a point to nominate a couple more.

Regarding Kate Winslet's nom for Best Actress for The Reader when she won for Best Supporting at the Globes...I haven't seen the film, but I'm told she is, actually, the lead in that film.  The campaign was for her to be nominated as Best Supporting, so she wouldn't cancel herself out with a nom for Revolutionary Road.  The Academy, however, has every right to ignore the campaign and nominate her wherever they please.

Gran Torino came on strong VERY late.  I'm disappointed there weren't any nominations for it, but it was released for consideration right on the deadline, so it's not surprising it didn't receive any nominations.

I didn't expect noms for Rev Road for best picture or director.  The film had a real lukewarm response, and I found it largely unimpressive.  Watching two people scream at each other for 2 hours doesn't make for a great movie.  Michael Shannon was really about the only believable character in that movie, so his nomination is okay, though I wouldn't have preferred to see Dev Patel for Slumdog nominated.
01/22/2009

math2012
math2012

haha, did anyone hear what ricky gervais said to kate winslet about holocaust films/oscars? Harsh but quite true...

Im really glad slumdog has got so many nominations, particulary the best cinematography nom. (I think thats my British film pride showing)

I still feel like last years oscars were more exciting, i think overall 2008 oscar movies were much better.

But im happy for Aronofski and Rourke, since the Fountain flopped and Mickeys career was bleak this is a nice booster for them!

01/23/2009