The Shining Ending

Location: All Movie Forums / New DVDs, Release Dates, and DVD features / The Shining Ending
  filmfan09
filmfan09

Why was Jack Nicholson in the old 1920's picture? k nicholson in the old 1920's photo 01/13/2009

Northeast Kid
Northeast Kid
TV Extra

This is a good question.  I am not sure.  I recently saw it the other night on AMC I believe.  I think it is all part of the crazy mystery surrounding the old hotel.  I don't think it was meant to show that Jack was in the 1920's but also that he might of thought he had been - or it was he in another life.  Great movie, but very odd! 01/19/2009

The Marowak
The Marowak
TV Extra

He's in the picture because he's dead. Sixth Sense, ghosts, and all that jazz again. 02/28/2009

patjohnson76
patjohnson76

I don't believe he's dead, I think it's just to show he became a part of the hotel.  I hate this ending, The Shining is my favorite King novel and Kubrick did not do it justice.  The book's ending has so much more emotion to it. 03/12/2009

spacelion88
spacelion88
TV Extra

My guess is that he wasn't in the photo before, but the Hotel itself lures victims in and then "recruits" particular souls to be part of it, specifically the writer, since he was losing his mind, or getting a newer fragmented one. A few decades ago that photo was probably smaller with fewer rows. But I could be wrong...I never understood that one myself, I guess it's supposed to be one of those "Open to Interpretation" endings. 08/05/2009

MovieFan
MovieFan
Aspiring Actress

Well he does mention he felt "as if I have been here before". Also this is Kubricks take on the ending, not Kings. King book spoiler- in Kings book, their is a hotel furnace that the caretaker is supposed to watch, so it doesn't over-heat. In the end though, he is so caught up in trying to kill his wife and son ( with a croquet mallet, not an axe) he forgets about it. The hotel realizes too late what is happening and the furnace explodes, taking the hotel and all of its ghosts and history with it. The hotel is a place that absorbs events and emotions that have happened and taken place within. Also, the cook does not die in the novel, but actually rescues Danny and his mom.  The book is wonderful and you should read it and then compare novel to movie. You will still appreciate Kubricks take, and love Nicholson, but see why King Hates this adaptation. Also, Jacks character is an alcholic, which is one aspect the movie doesnt take into full account.  11/03/2009

Recent Movies To See by Mr Cinema