Favorite Book of all Time

Location: All Movie Forums / Video Games, Music, Books, and Other Media / Favorite Book of all Time
1 - 10 of 11 1  2  Next

We already have video games, so I'll go in the other direction (I'm such a rebel!).  I'm a voracious reader, so this is actually a really tough decision, but this is my favorite (not necessarily best) book of all time, so I'm going to say The Stand by Stephen King.

It's an epic novel in every sense of the word - over 1,000 pages of good vs. evil, a lot of characters you follow, a killer virus - plenty of detailed deaths - plus, even at 1000 pages, it flows smoothly.

People may complain for me picking such a commercial and modern author, but King manages to hit all the right spots, mixing humanity with horror - light and dark - with just the right touch. Plus, as a life-long Nebraskan, it's nice to know the scion of right and good happens to live (at least in King's mind) right here in the Cornhusker state.
09/08/2008

Alex
Alex

Never read it but I really liked the TV movie.  I am not a fiction fan so I don't have much of an opinion here.  I did read a book that was long once called "Boy's Life" and all of the same books by that author though I think just read them because they looked big and had a cool cover. 09/08/2008

Allison
Allison

I love Stephen King's novels and stuff (he is popular for a reason!). Haven't read or seen The Stand, but i've been hearing lots of great things about it. I should read it sometime soon. 09/09/2008

Josh C
Josh C

Salem's lot is my favorite Steven King book. It is the only book to ever give me nightmares.
But my favorite book is "The Count of Monte Cristo" Nothing not to love about it. Subsequently, the movie is decent too but leaves out a lot of the details of the book.
09/10/2008

Taz
Taz

I have to go with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  Followed by the rest of the Harry Potter Books.  I have read the series more time then I can count! 01/04/2009

Ikkinbot
Ikkinbot

I've never been a big fan of horror novels.  I like the movie The Stand.  My favorite book is Jane Eyre. 04/03/2010

RonPrice
RonPrice

My favorite book/writer: some thoughts------------

Anyone who has studied history to a significant extent knows the extent to which poetry, art and history are intertwined.  The examples, the historians, the poets and the artists who have pointed out this intimate association are many.  In a comment the historian Arnold Toynbee made in 1955 in the Journal of the History of Ideas, after he had completed his epic 10 volume work A Study of History, he said he regarded himself as much a poet as a historian.

Theodore Mommsen the great, perhaps, the greatest Roman historian, said in the fifth volume of his History of Rome that imagination was the mother of both poetry, history and he might have added art.

England buried its historian Thomas Macauley in the poet’s corner of Westminster Abbey.  Edward Gibbon wrote in sentences pregnant with the deepest observations and the most lively images which drew attention to his words as art form as much as, if not more than, content.   This is often the function, the way, of the poet and the artist; in the process, readers often have to work a little harder to read what they say.-Ron Price with thanks to my “Section IX: Notebooks,” Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 1/6/06.

The state, you said, in the 19th century’s finest work in history, was built on sand unless a common morality pervaded the rulers and the ruled,  you who poet-like, artist-like, had a genius for passionate, subjective judgements in that monumental work, that poetic work, your opus, oeuvre that helped keep you young, helped give you the fire of youth1 as you headed for middle age.2 You revolutionized the study of ancient Rome:2

1On reading the presentation of the Nobel Prize in Literature for 1902 to Theodore Mommsen in Nobel Lectures Literature: 1901-1967, editor, Horst Frenz, the Nobel Foundation, NY, 1969, pp. 7-11. 2Mommsen wrote a three volume History of Rome(1854-56) published when he was 39 or 40. V. 5 appeared in 1885. V4 was lost in a fire.    & nbsp;

07/28/2010

RonPrice
RonPrice

I tried to reduce the size of the font in the above post was was unable to do so.-Ron Price, Tasmania 07/28/2010

If you're not too much of a literary snob, check out these graphic novels:

1) Sandman by Neil Gaiman

2) The Walking Dead (ongoing) by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn

3) Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon

4) Fables (ongoing) by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Lan Medina and others.

5) Y the Last Man by
Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra

6) Sin City by Frank Miller

7) Watchmen and V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

8) Maus by Art Spiegelman

By no means is this list all-inclusive, as there are many more great series out there - but these are the ones I've found interesting and entertaining that proves comics aren't just for kids and teens but for adults as well.
07/29/2010

carverboy
carverboy

I would suggest Frank Miller's "Ronin" to your list of graphic novels.
I"m not really a horror fan but I count Stephen King's "Different Seasons" as a great read and how many books out there have spawned Three movies, two of them all ready considered classics?
" Neuromancer" By William Gibson broke ground in the cyber punk genre So many good books to many to list!
07/30/2010