I've Seen All the Best Picture Nominees and here’s How I Rank Them
By Alex - 02/24/11 at 08:43 PM CT
This year's best picture nominees are infinitely better than last years. I mean seriously. The Blind Side? Give me a break.
I was able and willing to see all the Oscar Nominations for Best Picture and here is where I give my honest opinion and predictions. I rank and comment on each nominee.
10) Winter's Bone - not sure why this got thrown in here. Not a bad movie, but not as good as many that got left out (Shutter Island and Blue Valentine comes to mind)
9) The Kids are All Right - This was thrown in as purely a political statement. There is nothing special about this movie other than the acting. It is barely good, if you know what I mean.
8) 127 Hours - Great work by Franco and it would be fun to see him get the win for best actor. Not that good of a job by Danny Boyle. A solid movie, but it is an incredible story that could have been told better.
7) Toy Story 3 - A great children's movie and awesome animation. It was fun to watch but the formula is a bit over done. Please don't do Toy Story 4.
6) The King's Speech - Just saw this last night. Awesome scenery and I learned a lot. Could have taken a different angle of King George's life to knock out the audience.
5) Black Swan - I was really looking forward to this movie. I felt the pacing was a bit off. And honestly, the subject matter was a bit yawning at the beginning. It finishes incredibly well. Despite this, not worthy of the best picture award.
4) The Fighter - One of the best boxing movies since Raging Bull (better than Rocky in my opinion, but mostly because I am biased against Stallone). Great acting, good story, well paced, and extremely entertaining.
3) True Grit - Now this is where it gets tough. This is a really great western. Back to the good 'ol days here. Very well done and entertaining. Too bad it's a "remake."
2) The Social Network - This might end up being the best movie out of all of these 10 years from now. But, only time will tell. I really liked this movie. It inspired me to do more. It also made me jealous. I desperately need to see it again to see how good it really is. A very good film.
1) Inception - I think this is best for 2 reasons. 1) the summer prior and year prior was full of REALLY crappy films and disappointments (except Book of Eli and Shutter Island). This is a breath of fresh air for the year. 2) It's a sci fi movie. I am very partial to these. Inception is the best sci fi movie to come out since Danny Boyle's Sunshine.
Who will win: The Social Network. Check back Monday when I give a breakdown of the REAL top 10 movies of 2010.