A Veteran Film for All Occasions
By Chris Kavan - 11/11/10 at 12:05 PM CT
In honor of Veteran's Day, here is a list of films that best exemplify the honor, bravery and sacrifice of the men and women who have served our country.
1) The Kick-Ass Veteran - Rambo: First Blood - Sly Stallone has made many a Rambo film, but the original is still the king. It may be a bit over-the-top, but it shows that one man can make a difference, especially with plenty of weapons and a mission. If you need to pump up your day, this is the movie to choose.
2) The Introspective Veteran - The Deer Hunter - Much darker and more dramatic, this is about the psychological toll of war. It may be a tad heavy for a day celebrating veterans, but it is also an important film that doesn't shy away from the hardships many people face following war.
3) The Anti-War Veteran - Born on the Fourth of July - An oxymoron you say? Some say war is hell - and sometimes those who survive come away with a distinct anti-war view. This film may make some veterans angry, but for others it may be the perfect film.
4) The Adventurous Veteran - Three Kings - If you want thrills along with a good story, then Three Kings may be the way to go. Buried treasure, outrageous plans and strong personalities - it's not quite Indiana Jones in Iraq, but it's as close as you'll get.
5) The Grizzled Veteran - Gran Torino - Nothing says "Get off my lawn" like an old war veteran saying... get off my lawn. Clint Eastwood plays an angry enough man, but one who also still wants to protect something - his car, his neighbors, his honor - a great film with a great message.
There are plenty of movies about war out there, but there aren't as many films about veterans. You can find others that suit the mood as well, but if you have family or friends that have served, maybe you can find time to watch one together.