New Films to Crave: Between a Rock, a Due Date and One Megamind
By Chris Kavan - 11/05/10 at 06:01 PM CT
Halloween weekend over? Good, now we're back on track. A lot of films come out today, and depending on your mood, you may just find one you like.
1) Me? I'm pulling for 127 hours. Anytime you get to watch a one-man show about amputation, there must be something going right. I have faith that James Franco can pull off this dramatic story.
2) You don't want drama - try comedy. Robert Downey Jr. teams up with Zach Galifianakis in a movie reminiscent of Plans, Trains and Automobiles in Due Date. While it might not make Hangover-type waves, the previews have left me in good spirits, so I will see this, maybe not in theaters, but I will watch it some day.
3) Megamind, for the kids in all of us and just our kids. It's been a few weeks since the last animated release, so it's about time we get another offering. With Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt and Tina Fey all along for the ride, at least the voice talent is looking good. Don't know if it will come anywhere close to Pixar numbers, but it looks entertaining enough.
4) Tyler Perry of Madea fame tries his hand at drama with For Colored Girls. I know I'm not the demographic, but it will probably be a good bet for the right group of people.
5) Finally you have more drama with Fair Game based on the true story of CIA agent Valerie Plame, who was outed as a secret agent mainly as retaliation of her husband's critical view of the Bush administration. As I don't side with Republicans, I will probably have a fine time with the movie - but I'm guessing it won't burn up the box office.
That's your best bet for the weekend. As for me? I still have to catch Paranormal Activity 2 - a few weeks late, but finally there!