Don't Monkey With These Co-Stars
By Chris Kavan - 09/10/10 at 09:46 AM CT
They may be a bit hairy, a bit smelly and maybe temperamental but working with simian co-stars is also a rite of passage. You either make it through the fire or go down in flames. So here are the top monekyshines - no King Kong or Planet of the Apes - only real animals allowed on this list.
1) Clyde the Orangutan - Clint Eastwood may now be an Oscar-winning director, but once, not so long ago, he co-starred with this wonderful sidekick. In Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can the two have a wonderful relationship and, as his future success proves, starring with an ape doesn't spell the end of your career.
2) Ed - On the other hand, sometimes it's hard to know your real friends. Out of all the cast members, Matt LeBlanc has had the toughest time. Something tells me that deciding to make a baseball movie with a chimp may not have been the smartest choice. This time, the fire was on high and LeBlanc has not recovered.
3) Sam as Dunston - Dunston Checks In is a typical fun kids movie. The fact that the two seem to get along well helps. So what if it may not be a high point for Faye Dunaway, Rupert Everett or Jason Alexander? It's about having a good time, people!
4) Killer Capucins - The monkey of choice for so many films - Outbreak has one that spreads a killer virus; Raiders of the Lost Ark features one who is a Nazi; Pirates of the Caribbean has one that is undead and Night at the Museum has a slap-happy one. If you remember seeing a cute, small monkey in a film, chances are it's a capucin.
5) Bonzo - Even future presidents can't escape the ape. Before he was known as the leader of the free world, Ronald Reagan was an actor. He starred in Bedtime for Bonzo, by all accounts not a very good film, with Bonzo the chimpanzee. At least it provided good fodder for comics far into his presidency.
So any of other fans of the many movie monkeys out there? Raise a banana in their honor!